The 7 steps of making a good turn:
- Know where you are turning before you get there. Last minute turns are NOT safe!
- Use your mirrors to observe your surrounding and the desired turn lane before changing lanes.
- Enter your turning lane asap. If you cannot access your turning lane early enough, keep driving. It’s never worth it!
- Signal early. Let other drivers know what you intend to do. Whether using a hand signal, or your car’s, always signal at least 100 ft. before the turn.
- Slow down to an acceptable turning speed.
- Execute the turn. You should not have any need for brakes or the clutch while turning.
- Finish your turn in the correct lane.